Join Our Team as a Writer and Writing Coach
Can you spot a good story a mile away? Are you good at helping others find their story, organize it and put it on paper?
If you have experience writing non-fiction books and you can help a sometimes scattered and overwhelmed mind organize and focus around a goal to complete a manuscript … then please keep reading!
Finding the best person for this role is the most important thing … while we’d love to have you in Los Angeles, the most important thing is that we find someone awesome to take great care of our clients. So – if you think you’d rock this role and you’d love to do it … apply! We can figure everything else out from there.
What is your role?
Support our entrepreneur and business professional clients to create a clear outline for their book and write the first draft of their manuscript. How we help them get to a first draft varies by client. For some, it’s purely a coaching role. You are their support system, guiding light, and accountability partner. For many clients, you are assisting them with the writing. They provide the content, and you help organize it, clean it up, and fill in a few blanks in the author’s voice. And, sometimes we’re interviewing the author to capture their voice and all the content, and you’re writing the entire first draft.
Regardless of how we get to a first draft, you will play a key role in helping each client fulfill their dream of writing, publishing and selling a book.
You will need to have a positive presence on the phone as you will need to connect with each person to motivate and coach them to success. You’ll need to be eloquent and concise in email communications as you check in, provide input and push the authors along. And, a mind for marketing will be useful as you work with the author to write a book that will help them reach their goals and appeal to their end reader. Finally, it’s essential you are deadline focused.
Book Launchers helps entrepreneurs and professionals to publish high-quality non-fiction books. But, this is not a traditional publishing company. Our authors retain all control and ownership over the content and keep all royalties. We provide the team and the guidance to help our authors write and publish, AND achieve their business objectives through their book. It’s not just about selling books (although we help them with that too!). It’s about using a book to build a business, boost a brand, become a recognized expert all while sharing valuable expertise and experience with others.
You will be the author’s biggest cheerleader, from start to finish as they draft their manuscript. You’ll coach, encourage, support and guide each author to complete their book.
So many would be authors fail because they start, but don’t finish their manuscript. They lose focus, doubt themselves and get lost in the project. You won’t let that happen.
You’re going to work with the author to build a solid outline, focused on a clear concept that will appeal to their ideal reader. Every book needs a clear hook – and we’ll be asking for you to identify it. We also have a ‘no boring books’ policy. It would be useful for you to watch this video to see one example of what we’re looking for.
As a coach, you’ll read their work to make sure it flows, engages the reader and will help the author achieve their most important business goal. As the writer, we expect that comes naturally and that you can capture the author’s voice while you do that.
You’ll build relationships with the unique and experienced people who want to become authors. You’ll learn about all kinds of professions, personal stories and businesses as you take the author through finishing the draft of their manuscript.
Our process has five phases:
- Pen to Paper (Writing Your Book)
- Process (Editing)
- Publishing (Design, Layout, & Set Up with Printing and Distribution)
- Platform (Building the business around the book including website, social media, and other services offered around the book)
- Promote (Selling the book).
Your job is to support the author entirely through Phase 1. The two of you will celebrate the milestones as they complete their word goals and finalize chapters. You’ll check in when you haven’t heard from them. And, when they complete each chapter, you’ll read it and give them content and flow based suggestions to make it the best possible product. We’re helping them create a book they will be proud of.
When the book leaves your care, it’s ready for content editing.
Specific Tasks Include:
- Working with the author to develop a book outline. This is not as simple as it sounds. Many entrepreneurs and professionals will want to put WAY TOO MUCH into one book. Others will want to write a book that is way too much like a lot of other books that are already on the market. Your job is to help them find the sweet spot where their expertise mixes with the market needs and what they need to write about to achieve their business goals. Once you find that, then you’ll need to work with them to develop a detailed outline so all they have to do is fill in the gaps.
- Develop a plan to make it easier and more efficient for each client to achieve their goals.
- Monitoring the book and the author’s progress as they write, and identifying potential issues early. You’re going to be their accountability partner while they write, so if you’re not hearing from them and receiving material to read on the schedule you establish with them, you need to chase them down and make sure everything is ok.
- Remember your most important role is to help each author produce a manuscript that will help them achieve their most important business goal. You must always review the material with that in mind. For example, if they want to build a contact database, does the manuscript include references to their website where people can opt-in for something amazing in exchange for their email?
The ideal candidate for this role has written non-fiction books, has experience coaching non-fiction authors, or has a depth of experience working with non-fiction books and authors in the publishing industry.
This currently is a CONTRACT POSITION. You will be offered work on a project by project basis. If we enjoy working with you, clients are getting great results working with you, and there’s a fit, this could be move to more permanent role (if you want that).
If this sounds like a perfect fit for you then here’s a bit about us.
Book Launchers officially opened to authors in September 2017. We’ve only just begun to launch books and build our success stories, but the pipeline of books we’re launching in 2019 is pretty impressive. It’s a great time to join our small but mighty (and growing team). Founder, Julie Broad, is a Top 20 under 40 award-winning entrepreneur, an award-winning OVERALL Amazon #1 bestselling author (her first self-published niche non-fiction book actually topped the charts of all the millions of books sold in Canada on Amazon and stayed there for 36 hours! and was in the Top 100 overall for 45 days), and she’s a recognized expert on self-publishing, branding, and marketing.
The company is based out of Los Angeles, but many of the team members are located all over the United States.
Again, this is a contract position at this time. Please read all of the information and APPLY HERE.
If this doesn’t sound right for you, but you know someone who would be perfect for this position, please pass it along and make sure we know who to thank if we hire them. 🙂