Join Our Team as Our Book Media Specialist
Even if you have never worked in book publishing before … if you love books and you love staying on top of the latest media trends, channels, and outlets, this might be a great role for you. If you get excited about making new connections, a great day is one where you’ve put the spotlight on a client, and you’ve found a cool way to do outreach on behalf of an author then you definitely will like what we have to say! We are hiring, and while it’s part-time to begin, we can move it to full-time fairly quickly if you get results, and being full-time is important to you.
What is your role?
In this role, you are the Book Launchers in-house media and outreach guru. You will help our authors find new audiences and sell their books through strategic media placement, including book reviews, podcasts, blogs, print and broadcast media, B2B publications and live appearances. You will work with the marketing department to brainstorm and strategize on each client’s book and brand to find the ideal media outlets to target. You will be an essential part of landing media opportunities for our clients and building relationships with outlets, editorial teams and coordinators. Our overarching goal is to be our clients’ first choice for book publishing success and help them get books in the hands of readers.
- Strategize on a media outreach plan for books in pre-sale, new releases and books in post launch.
- Craft compelling pitches that land new media opportunities to feature a client’s book or client as an expert.
- Identity and pitch targeted media outlets that will bring our client’s books to audiences that must know about them.
- Develop and sustain relationships with outlets for future opportunities.
- Come up with new pitch angles relevant news pegs and creative, out-of-the-box ideas of new outlets, partnerships, and audiences to approach on behalf of the author or book.
- Be capable to handle multiple clients at one time with a variety of nonfiction topics and deliver their monthly pitch count on time.
- Package and mail out books for relevant book review outlets.
- Support the Media Coordinator on creating content for our various email marketing newsletters.
- Track media activity for each client, including outgoing pitches, contacts, notes, media wins and sending out media confirmations.
- Create monthly pitch reports for clients and the team to demonstrate objectives and deliverables reached.
- Identify and cultivate new opportunities to sell books through proper partnerships.
- Participate in company meetings, brainstorming sessions and weekly reporting.
- Be available for client calls and engage authors on new media or marketing strategy.
- Brainstorm with the marketing team weekly on new ways to get client books into readers’ hands.
- Through strategic media placement, our authors will find new audiences and build their brand.
- Clients have a strong book launch with media opportunities lined up that achieve their goals.
- Clients feel secure and prepared for media opportunities through our efforts.
- Clients books or their brand are able to build bigger and better media opportunities than they would have previously.
- Book Launchers marketing deliverables for clients are executed monthly efficiently and consistently.
- Client deliverables are ready on or before the deadlines and meet all Book Launchers standards.
- Book Launchers marketing offerings for clients exceed expectations and in new, exciting ways compared to competitors.
- Specialize in book publicity and marketing with an background in publicity and established relationships with media outlets.
- Love developing and cultivating relationships with outlets and be able to creatively think of new ways to present clients or their books.
- Understand how marketing a book works as a whole and the ways media placement can build a brand, platform or book audience.
- Experience in navigating multiple publicity online tools like Cision, MuckRack or others media databases.
- Experience and proficiency at creating publicity deliverables like media kits and press releases.
- Be a stickler for deadlines and love the fast-paced nature of media opportunities or interviews and be able to deliver on time on a consistent basis.
- An organizational wizard capable of juggling multiple clients, deadlines, materials and other content like a breeze.
- Experience with online marketing and the tools to use.
- Able to work collaboratively with the team
- Available for daily, weekly and monthly meetings with the Book Launchers team
- Comfortable working alone and from home
- A love of books and reading
Every project has a timeline with specific monthly commitments so delivering on time is a must! This role will begin part-time (~25 hours/week). As your role grows within our organization, the option to move to full-time will be presented to you. However, we are flexible if full-time just let us know. You’ll be working remote so the ability to work independently is essential.
Initial salary for part time is $22,000.00 – $25,000.00 per year ($45,000.00 – $50,000.00 for full-time) with the opportunity for profit sharing after 90 days. As you grow with the team, so will the salary.
The right Book Media Specialist for our team will get excited about gaining media wins for our clients. They also will love looking at books and authors from all angles to find the most interesting and relevant pitch avenues for today’s market. They’re actively looking to join a team and grow with a company united in its passion to create quality books and help our authors achieve success.
If this sounds good to you please apply using the form linked below. Please include detailed answers to the questions on the form as we use that form more than a resume to determine who advances to an interview.
This is a marketing position, so your cover letter to us should show that you know how to write in a way that sells! (PS: If you’re early in your career but have recently been trained in media and publicity, tell us about it! We like to hear what you can bring to this role we may not have already considered.)
If this doesn’t sound right for you, but you know someone who would be perfect for this position, please pass it along and make sure we know who to thank if we hire them.
Also, if you’re not familiar with our company, we recommend you spend some time on our YouTube channel. These videos are a good place to begin: