Join Our Team as a Fact Checker
Are you the kind of person that takes one look at a statement and wonders, “Is that actually true?” and then digs in to find the source? Maybe you’re always curious about the origin of data or possibly you just like to feel secure knowing that science or research has backed up anything you or your friends say. If that sounds like you, and you have a background in journalism or academia, then we are looking for someone like you to help our authors fact check their books.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Read manuscripts and identify and correct any errors, relay changes to the production team to improve future books.
- Contribute to research projects as needed.
- Keep records of fact-checked scripts, script quality, and script accuracy to help improve the writing and production processes.
What is your role?
You will be an external and independent contractor – our fact-checker and researcher on call.
Your primary point of contact will be our Client Care Manager, but your ultimate job is to delight our customers by making their ideal readers buy their book with your brilliant copy!
Book Launchers helps entrepreneurs and professionals publish high-quality non-fiction books. But, this is not a traditional publishing company. Our authors retain all control and ownership over the content and keep all royalties. We provide the team and the guidance to help our authors not only write and publish but also to achieve their business objectives through their book. It’s not just about selling books (although we help guide them through how to sell books too!). It’s about using a book to build a business, boost a brand, become a recognized expert all while sharing valuable expertise and experience with others.
Your role is important because you’ll be helping us ensure our authors are publishing a book a polished book. In fact, our clients actually hold our proofreading to a higher standard than a traditional publisher because they never want to look self-published!
Our process has five phases:
- Pen to Paper (Writing Your Book)
- Process (Editing)
- Publishing (Design, Layout, & Set Up with Printing and Distribution)
- Platform (Building the business around the book including website, social media, and other services offered around the book)
- Promote (Selling the book).
You’ll play a very important role in the Process phase, reading the books with attention to detail.
Your specific skills include:
- Knowing how to determine whether a resource is credible, and fit with contemporary accuracy standards for nonfiction books.
- An interest and understanding of a variety of subjects, including but not limited to finance, real estate, fitness, and self-help.
- Being persistent and resourceful when it comes to tracking down hard-to-find information and sources.
- Maintaining organized records of your work.
Every project has a timeline so we will have a rough idea of when we’ll need you, so you can plan your schedule accordingly, but as our fact-checker on call, we do have tight turnaround deadlines (usually less than 6-10 business days) and ask if you can’t fit it into your schedule, you’ll notify us immediately so we can send it to another person.
If this sounds good to you … send us a proposal with your rates for the above tasks and we’ll send you a short proofreading test.
Head over to the ‘Join Our Team‘ page and complete the form and upload your proposal!
If this doesn’t sound right for you, but you know someone who would be perfect for this position, please pass it along and make sure we know who to thank if we hire them. 🙂