**We are not currently taking any more applications for this position. Thank you!**
Join Our Team as a Writing Coach
Can you spot a good story a mile away? Are you good at helping others find their story, organize it and put it on paper?
If you have experience working on non-fiction books and you can help a sometimes scattered and overwhelmed mind organize and focus around a goal to complete a manuscript … then please keep reading!
Finding the best person for this role is the most important thing … while we’d love to have you in Los Angeles, the most important thing is that we find someone awesome to take great care of our clients. So – if you think you’d rock this role and you’d love to do it … apply! We can figure everything else out from there.
What is your role?
Support our entrepreneur and business professional clients to create a clear outline for their book and write the first draft of their manuscript.
You will play a key role in helping each client fulfill their dream of writing, publishing and selling a book.
You will need to be good on the phone as you motivate and coach clients. You’ll need to be eloquent in email as you check in, provide input and push the authors along. And, a mind for marketing will be useful as you work with the author to write a book that will help them reach their goals and appeal to their end reader.
Book Launchers helps entrepreneurs and professionals publish high quality non-fiction books. But, this is not a traditional publishing company. Our authors retain all control and ownership over the content and keep all royalties. We provide the team and the guidance to help our authors write and publish, AND achieve their business objectives through their book. It’s not just about selling books (although we help them with that too!). It’s about using a book to build a business, boost a brand, become a recognized expert all while sharing valuable expertise and experience with others.
You will be the author’s biggest cheerleader, from start to finish as they draft their manuscript. You’ll coach, encourage, support and guide each author to complete their book.
So many would be authors fail because they start, but don’t finish their manuscript. They lose focus, doubt themselves and get lost in the project. You won’t let that happen.
You’re going to work with the author to build a solid outline, focused on a clear concept that will appeal to their ideal reader. You’ll read their work to make sure it flows, engages the reader and will help the author achieve their most important business goal.
You’ll build relationships with the unique and experienced people who want to become authors. You’ll learn about all kinds of professions, personal stories and businesses as you take the author through finishing the draft of their manuscript.
Our process has five phases:
- Pen to Paper (Writing Your Book)
- Process (Editing)
- Publishing (Design, Layout, & Set Up with Printing and Distribution)
- Platform (Building the business around the book including website, social media,and other services offered around the book)
- Promote (Selling the book).
You’re job is to support the author entirely through Phase 1. The two of you will celebrate the milestones as they complete their word goals and finalize chapters. You’ll check in when you haven’t heard from them. And, when they complete each chapter, you’ll read it and give them content and flow based suggestions to make it the best possible product. We’re helping them create a book they will be proud of.
When the book leaves your care, it’s ready for copy editing.
Specific Tasks Include:
- Working with the author to develop a book outline. This is not as simple as it sounds. Many entrepreneurs and professionals will want to put WAY TOO MUCH into one book. Others will want to write a book that is way too much like a lot of other books that are already on the market. Your job is to help them find the sweet spot where their expertise mixes with the market needs and what they need to write about to achieve their business goals. Once you find that, then you’ll need to work with them to develop a detailed outline so all they have to do is fill in the gaps.
- Develop a process to make it easier and more efficient to develop book outlines. You’re the first one in this role, so part of your job is to help develop a proprietary process for Book Launchers clients … make book writing fun and efficient!
- Monitoring the book and the author’s progress as they write, and identifying potential issues early. You’re essentially going to be their accountability partner while they write … so if you’re not hearing from them and receiving material to read on the schedule you establish with them, you need to chase them down and make sure everything is ok.
- Act as a content editor as you offer input on the manuscript including a focus on stories, graphics, action items and overall flow of the manuscript. Remember your most important role is to help each author produce a manuscript that will help them achieve their most important business goal … always review the material with that in mind. For example, if they want to build a contact database, does the manuscript include references to their website where people can opt in for something amazing in exchange for their email?
- Help with the development of the Book Launchers Foundations Training Library for clients and our content marketing efforts by identifying and outlining topics to be covered in training materials, presentations, articles and videos. Bonus points if you’d like to create some of these key content materials.
The ideal candidate for this role has written non-fiction books of their own (or, as a ghostwriter), has experience coaching non-fiction authors, or has experience working with non-fiction books and authors in the publishing industry.
You will enjoy a lot of freedom to control your day in this job. Your input will be incredibly valuable as we launch, define and refine the processes. As we grow, you can expect this to be a pretty full on gig managing multiple authors and manuscripts every single day. If you love working with people and books are your thing … we promise the job will never be boring.
If this sounds like a perfect fit for you then you’re obviously a pretty cool cucumber so … we want to tell you why we’re worthy of your greatness.
Here’s the deal:
Book Launchers is a start up that is just starting! Founder, Julie Broad, is a Top 20 under 40 award winning entrepreneur, an award winning Amazon #1 bestselling author (her first self-published niche non-fiction book actually topped the charts of all the millions of books sold in Canada on Amazon and stayed there for 36 hours!), and she’s a recognized expert on self-publishing, branding and marketing (you can watch some of her YouTube videos here, if you’re so inclined).
Additionally, Julie brings nine years of expertise in creating one of Canada’s most recognized and trusted real estate education and training companies to set this business up for success. After publishing two of her own books and working on multiple traditionally published books, she’s identified a real gap for entrepreneurs and professionals who want to write and publish a quality book that helps them achieve their business goals … and Book Launchers is going to fill it, perhaps with your help!
It will be a little bumpy a first, as every great adventure is. But, it will be fun and it will be fulfilling. If you want to know more about what we offer (including our health benefits, vacation policy and profit sharing) and how to apply, please read all of the information here. We’re open to making this position contract, full-time or part time (at first) … let us know what you’re looking for, what your salary expectations or contract rates are and we’ll see what we can do!
If this doesn’t sound right for you, but you know someone who would be perfect for this position, please pass it along and make sure we know who to thank if we hire them. 🙂